Sunday, May 29, 2011

Week 2 highlights

A shout-out to my fam...today is Garrett's birthday (16, yikes!), Ash just graduated high school and is having her party, and mi madre is putting it on. Rest at the Thompson household tomorrow? Good question, I think that is rare! I love you all, miss you all, and am praying for you all! :)

It's hard to believe it's already almost the end of my second full week here in Tirana, Albania. I am trying to soak in each moment, especially with the new friends I have made here. As Ana wisely said, I have my entire life to live at home, but only six weeks to be here in Albania...it sure changes your perspective when I think about it that way!

God teaches me so much each day. It's wonderful being in a different place where I get lost (happened twice, actually, but after the first time I got a map so I was able to get un-lost ;) ), have new people around, and a language barrier that makes me focus on the One who never changes and is always faithful and true. I feel that I am drawing closer to God and as He promised in James, He is drawing closer to me; and as the Light comes near and the fire gets hot and I am forced out of my comfort zone, I see God is working in me and changing me to become more like Him. It's really quite wonderful, even when the growing pains hurt.

Let's see, last I wrote was Wednesday. Since then I have observed both Wednesday night and Sunday morning children's classes, had a training for children's ministry workers, and met with three of the five girls that we met last week. For starters, Albanian kids are typical kids...there is only one difference between them and American kids, and that difference is (drum roll please!)...they speak Albanian! Haha, quite a revelation, huh? Well for some reason, it never occurred to me that I would not speak the same language as the kids I've come to work with. Talk about blonde. Let me just say, this can be frustrating. I can't tell a kid to quiet down, nor can I be of much comfort if one is crying...I can only give a hug or make my best stern face matched with a "shhh!" sound.

Of course training was also in Albanian, but good old Ana, who speaks English very, very well and walks everywhere with me (often 45-minute to 1 hour walks...we are on a diet...we eat sweets and then stay the same weight by walking everywhere :P ), translated. When we finally got through the theoretical and played some demo games, language barrier was not such an obstacle...except for directions and rules, but who needs those??? (JUST KIDDING!)

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie we watched with the three girls, Facing the Giants, so many "beautiful moments" as the Albanians say. Afterward, the women who invited the girls to come back, along with Alketa who I am staying with, shared the Gospel (in Albanian of course) with them. I have learned that the perfect time to pray is when others are speaking in Albanian and there is no one to translate for me. The girls didn't seem too receptive to the Gospel at this time, but even the one who was joking around when they started sharing said she would think about it by the time they were done talking. I think they are interested in the youth camp that will be in July, so they are in need of continued prayer.

I continue to be amazed by the Christians I am getting to know here. Their love and passion for the Lord is amazing. Everyday I find myself in spiritual discussions with them and am encouraged. This is something I want to take back with me, just to ponder God's greatness and how He works.

The lesson I have been learning the past few days is to live out the freedom I have in Christ. I see more clearly my desire to have my circumstances under control. I like to plan and I often miss times enjoying God or the people/setting He's placed in front of me because I am too busy making sure whatever the next thing is will run smoothly. Alketa and I talked about the difference between good and bad perfectionism. It is good that we seek to be holy before our holy God and to do our best...but we should find peace and contentment in that. All too often I try to reach my own expectation or what I feel others are expecting out of me, and that becomes bondage because I worry about how to reach it or what will happen if I fail. God does not set us up for failure if we only rely on Him. I am thankful that He is in control and if He wants something to happen, He will bring it to pass, whether I worry or not. How much more joy there is when I simply trust Him! As Alketa wisely put it, we are called to live faith, not to do faith. Our salvation is not based on works but on grace. We are free to make errors. Even though we are striving for holiness, God does not expect us to be perfect while we are on earth. He wants followers who are humbly open to His working through them. I was reminded of this in my devotions this week in I Corinthians 1:27-31.

Some Scriptures that have hit home this week:
Psalm 37:4, 7a- Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him:

Isaiah 26:3-4, 12- Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength. LORD, thou wilt ordain peace for us: for thou also hast wrought all our works in us.

Psalm 143:5-6, 8- I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the work of thy hands. I stretch forth my hands unto thee: my soul thirsteth after thee, as a thirty land. Cause me to hear thy lovingkindess in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee.

Psalm 29:2- Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.

Worship Him today. Seek to know Him. Reflect on His faithfulness and find peace in Him :)

1 comment:

  1. enjoyed your update, as usual! praying for you tonight.

    ReplyDelete